Saturday, 17 May 2014

Yeah For Pink: Burda Kimono Top

Yeah for pink! Pink top, skirt and flowers :)

Pattern: Burda No 1 from Burda Style Special autumn/winter No5/2013. When I saw this outfit, I fell totally in love with it - with the top and the skirt. So today I am showing you the top, which I actually finished 2 month ago. The skirt I almost stitched up as well, just in time for the warmer weather.

Fabric: Some super soft and silky jersey which I bought in Goldhawk Road. It has an amazing drape and was only £3.50/m. I bought enough to make another shirt - probably a Renfrew.



Alterations: Unluckily, the smallest size for the top was size 38 and I am only a size 36 in Burda bodices. So, I graded the whole top down one size. I have no idea if I did it right, but I only measured the difference between the sizes 38 and 40 and then subtracted the difference from size 38 to get size 36.



Construction: I sewed the whole top on my overlocker, hardly looking at the instructions. The only thing I struggled with was the V-neckline. According to the instructions, I had to start and end attaching the neckband at the tip of the V and then somehow stitch the neckband together. After loads of swearing and hand stitching I managed to get kind of a V tip I could live with. If you have any tips about how to finish V-necklines of jersey garments - please share them.



To gather the sleeves and bust, I first basted with my sewing machine and then used my overlocker to attach the sleeves to the sleeve band. I finished the hem with my twin needle. Although the instructions didn't say so, I stabilised the shoulder and waist seams with clear elastic.



Do I like it? I do and have worn it already several times. It just makes me feel so relaxed and actually the top is the perfect garment for a lazy weekend. I have worn it already combined with jeans, a skirt and my weekend jogging pants.

Worn with my Colette Meringue.

6 comments:

  1. I loooove this so much! Perfect fabric for this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so pretty and feminine! I loved that whole outfit too when I saw it! I'm so excited to see the skirt - it looks perfect for summery days and has great swish factor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely, the colour is so pretty (as are the flowers!). I also like your skirt, the fabric is familiar as I used it in red for a dress. Unfortunately I can't help with the jersey V-neck as I haven't sewed one. I have enough trouble with V-necks in woven fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! The colour really suits you, and it looks great with the skirt, and I love the fact that this is a nice comfy t-shirt but has some more unusual details to make it stand out from the crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shirt came out really pretty, but what a pain! I don't know if you've heard this tip before, but if you clip the V before you sew it, it's much easier to sew. I made a tee recently with a V-back and it worked with no problems: http://www.buttonandsnap.com/finished-projects/luck-irish/ This tip works too for sewing curves such as princess seams. If you clip the concave-curved piece before you stitch, it's much easier to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely top Daniela :) I have just made a renfrew out of the same fabric, also a nice comfy lazy top :) I didn't realise quite how slinky and drapey it was when we bought it!

    ReplyDelete

Related posts

related posts plugin for wordpress, blogger...