Sunday, 16 November 2014

My most loved Colette Hawthorn - so far


I made another Hawthorn! It's already my fourth version (click here for versions ONE, TWO and THREE). Because I have sorted out most of my fitting issues it should have been a fast make. However, it took me 4 weeks to actually finish the dress.


Fabric: I used a heavy brocade for the shell and some cotton-silk to line the bodice. I only lined the bodice this time because I made a slip to wear under the dress. 

The slip made from yellow polyester lining.
 I wanted to make a slip for ages, but couldn't find the motivation to do so. The slip is made from polyester lining and gathered with some picot elastic. 



Embellishments: I think the most pronounced feature of this dress is the off-white piping and self-covered buttons. I bought the piping in Shephard Bush market (London). I can't remember the price but it was really cheap. I have to say the buttons were a pain to make and I actually needed Leschas help to assemble them. It took us an hour and we were both glad when it was done. For the facing and under collar I used some poplins with flowers on it. You know me, I just couldn't resist to sneak in some flowers :)


Alterations: As I worked out most of my fit issues when sewing my other Hawthorn versions, I actually didn't do any fitting this time :) I know the sleeves look really creasy but that's because I was wearing the dress with a tight fitting cardigan before. 



Construction: Because I added the piping I had to change the assembly order of the dress completely. The instructions have you assemble the bodice first and then attach the skirt at the waistline. But because I wanted the piping to be continuous all the way from top to bottom, I first stitched the front bodice and front skirt panels together and than attached the piping and facing. The pattern doesn't come with a separate skirt facing, so I drafted it myself.


It took me two evenings to handstitch the hem - I used a slip stitch - but I'm so glad I took the time because you can't see the stitches on the right side.


You can see that the collar isn't completely flat and the facing is peeking out. That's despite me trimming as much fabric on the seams as I could. I guess I would need a clapper to flatten it completely.

  

Finally, I just would like to thank you all for your kind words regarding my engagement. The last couple of weeks were really exciting and I have bought a couple of wedding magazines to get some inspiration for wedding dresses, cakes and decoration. I haven't decided on a wedding dress yet. But have already a vague idea in my head which involves lots of chiffon and flowers :)

7 comments:

  1. That textured fabric is amazing! I love all your Hawthorn's :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your fabric for this veraion- but I absolutely love the piping! That's certainly on my to try list! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! Your piping application looks fantastic, and I love the contrast fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! I absolutely love the piping, what a great detail (and great idea!). The fabric covered buttons were definately worth the effort, and the flowery under-collar is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous - I can see why it's your favourite Hawthorn so far. The piping looks great, and the buttons might have been a pain to cover but I think they were worth it. I've been thinking about sewing a Hawthorn for a while, this is more encouragement for me! And I like the sound of chiffon and flowers for your wedding dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely version! I love the hidden florals. I hear you on self covered buttons but they are worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How pretty! I love the fabric and all the little details you added!

    ReplyDelete

Related posts

related posts plugin for wordpress, blogger...